Pages

Sunday 22 August 2010

Poem: Burning Youth


Here is another old poem of mine called Burning Youth. It's about all the fun I had getting carried away in the Leeds Festival riots when I was a teenager. It was supposed to be a ballad but all that structure fucks me off so it is what it is:


Burning Youth

When someone in the crowd shouts charge
Everyone does obey
We run to them, they run to us
All with their batons raised

Through classic choreographed moves
Primal urges surface
Kids and the Police together
Fulfil this strange purpose
 
Mob mentality has its place
And in this field it lies
Where the rocks and rubber bullets
Shower down from the sky

I've never seen police so crazed
Out of football season
What was started was soon finished
With force beyond reason
 
Yet when the night is through and the
Fires are fully put out
Everyone will return to peace
Of this I have no doubt

No comments:

Post a Comment