Pages

Sunday 22 August 2010

A Poetry Promise

I've just remembered how irritating it is when people dissect their poetry in front of you (or in my case via a blog). The reason I'm guilty of this is because I had three years of creative badgering (disguised as education) from people who insisted this was the norm and insisted they knew better. But I know better.

They used to tell me that my stories were too unbelievable even though they were all based on things I'd experienced. They'd say write what you know but what they meant was write what I know. Trouble is what I knew was totally out of the remit of what a sheltered middle-class-middle-aged academic who'd never fucked up in their life knew. Anyway I left that institution three years ago and it's only now that I've started to write again and I guess old habits die hard.

But I promise any new poems or stories I write I'll just put them up as they are and leave it up to other people to figure out what I'm ranting on about.

No comments:

Post a Comment